The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) has released its 2021 research on the state of the massage therapy profession, with some positive results. Many massage therapists are back at work with enhanced safety protocols in place, having adapted to changing work environments, and cleaning and appointment procedures.
In addition, massage is as popular as ever among consumers, meaning that the future of massage therapy as a profession looks bright. Some key points from the research include:
- 92% of consumers state that massage therapy can be effective in reducing pain
- Of those who have ever received a massage, 92% expect to get one in the future, with most expecting to get one in the next six months
- 91% feel it can be beneficial for health and wellness
- 63% of consumers who got a massage for health and wellness reasons stated it was part of a treatment plan from a doctor or medical provider
- 44% of consumers prefer to wear a mask during a massage, and 36% would also like the therapist to wear a mask
- Men are now more likely to get a massage than women