Despite the miracle that is the womb, an overwhelming number of women experience challenges or discomfort associated with their menstrual cycle throughout their lives. From fertility challenges, uterine fibroids and endometriosis, to pain, bloating and exhaustion, many women have felt discomfort in this area of their bodies at some time in their life. Fortunately, there exists a simple herbal remedy that a growing number of people across the country are calling upon for deep relaxation, detoxification and uterine wellness. This luxurious and effective treatment is known as a yoni steam — and though it is an ancient practice, it is quickly becoming one of the next big trends in the spa industry.
What is Yoni Steaming?
Yoni steaming, also known as vaginal steaming, is a treatment in which the warmth of herbal steam gently permeates the exterior of the vagina. The term "yoni" is a Sanskrit word that refers to the entirety of the female reproductive system, rather than just the vagina itself. The gentle herbal steam works by detoxifying the entire reproductive system, supporting it to shed excess build-up that can cause many of the discomforts and challenges that women experience with menstruation.
Yoni steaming is the perfect offering for a spa experience. In addition to physical detoxification, yoni steaming can provide deep comfort and relaxation for both the mind and body, reducing anxiety and inviting an enhanced sense of well-being. It helps to release stored emotions and soothe the nervous system, and it feels great at the same time.
Yoni Steaming Benefits
In addition to being luxurious and deeply restorative, regular yoni steam treatment is known to...
- Reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with PMS and menstruation.
- Regulate an irregular or absent menstrual cycles
- Decrease menstrual flow
- Increase libido, lubrication and comfort during sex
- Increase fertility and prepare for pregnancy
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system postpartum (after birth)
- Reduce uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear or C-section scar.
- Assist with the healing of hemorrhoids.
- Relieve chronic bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections
- Maintain a healthy odor
- Ease symptoms of menopause, especially dryness
- Support natural cleansing process of your vagina and detoxify your womb
Note: It is not recommended to provide a yoni steam if your client has an IUD or during menstruation. Do not do a yoni steam if your client is pregnant.
Preparing a Yoni Steam
To prepare a yoni steam treatment:
- Gather your organic yoni steaming herbs. Some great aromatic, healing and antimicrobial herbs to include in an intentionally-crafted blend are mugwort, motherwort, yarrow, lavender, calendula, and rosemary.
- Place two quarts of filtered water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add one heaping cup of dry yoni steaming herbs to the water. Cover and steep with lid on for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow water to cool with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Pour the infusion into a heatproof basin (either stainless steel or glass). Place the basin approximately 8-18 inches below the yoni in a yoni steam chair (option to use a yoni steam seat).
- Invite the client to remove all clothing from the waist down and sit down on the seat, covering the legs with a warm blanket, cloak or towels to keep the steam inside. Be sure the steam is not too hot so as to avoid burns.
- Have them stay seated wrapped in warm blankets over the steam for 20-40 minutes. This practice can be repeated up to 3 times monthly.
Yoni steaming is a safe and powerful ancient remedy that has been respected by healers and used for centuries by women worldwide. This gentle, relaxing treatment provides effective support for the female reproductive system, and invites reconnection with the powerful, creative energy of a woman's center, leaving her feeling relaxed, de-stressed, and happier!
Sierra Brashear, MA is a Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner, DONA-trained doula, herbal alchemist, wellness educator and founder of Vibrant Souls. She believes that in order for humanity to activate our full potential, women in particular must be well physically, spiritually and emotionally. By tuning in to our unique womb wisdom, leveraging our feminine power and intellect, and drawing on our ancestral wisdom, we will discover contemporary ways to heal ourselves, our families and our planet. She is also co-founder of Cultivate Balance and Moon Bath. To learn more about bringing this loved treatment to your community or clients, you are invited to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.